American Specialty Is Searching for a Lead Commercial Property Underwriter with 3+ Years of Experience to Join Our Team!
American Specialty is a leading, nationally-recognized Sports, Leisure & Entertainment insurance organization serving clients in the professional sports, amateur sports, motorsports, leisure and entertainment industries.
This is a full-time, exempt/salaried position with benefits, including an Employee Stock Purchase Plan offering a 15% share discount to eligible teammates.
JOB DESCRIPTION & EXPECTATIONS:
The successful Lead Property Underwriter candidate will have 3+ years' experience and will work at an advanced level of underwriting difficulty (including complex risks) and is expected to operate independently with minimal supervision. This role-holder will serve as a department resource for property underwriting, including development and maintenance of Property Underwriting Guidelines addressing both ISO Property, AAIS COP, Business Income/Extra Expense, Inland Marine, Crime, and Boiler and Machinery.
Further, this individual is responsible for the growth and development of other underwriting personnel with respect to property-related underwriting skills. This individual will serve as a resource for questions involving Catastrophe exposures such as wind/hail, flood, earthquake, and wildfire. The individual will work with American Specialty’s insurance carrier partner in establishing rate and eligibility guidance to achieve agreed upon performance goals for the property book.
This role reports to the EVP/Chief Underwriting Officer and may be assigned additional projects to those outlined above.
REQUIRED & PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS:
To succeed in this role, the individual must be able to perform all duties referenced above. In addition, the requirements and skills reflected below are representative of the knowledge, skill level, and abilities required for this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• 3+ years of commercial property underwriting experience preferred, including individual account underwriting and the ability to manage the overall successful performance of the company’s property business.
• Bachelor's Degree in Insurance/Risk Management, or possess considerable technical expertise and extensive underwriting experience, along with an understanding of underwriting commercial exposures and insurance coverage.
• Must hold active applicable insurance license(s) - or obtain license(s) upon hire by completing pre-licensing course and passing Indiana Property and Casualty Licensing exam.
• CPCU, ARM, or AU industry designation(s) preferred.
• Proven analytical, interpretive and evaluative thinking.
• Ability to write manuals, implement property underwriting protocols, train and serve as a resource for other teammates relative to property underwriting.
• Demonstrated ability to develop and achieve growth objectives in business plan while maintaining underwriting quality and client service objectives, including skills to form strategic and tactical planning responses to identify and direct execution of business opportunities and adapt to changing legal, legislative, economic and social environments.
• Ability to develop and maintain productive insurer relationships
• Excellent negotiation, project management, organization and communication skills.
• Must be a polished, team-oriented professional with a collaborative approach to work.
• This individual must have a desire to learn, develop and grow, while demonstrating initiative, good work ethic, and ability to work with people at all levels.
• Keen problem-solving skills in adapting strategic underwriting direction to specific underwriting issues and business opportunities decisively.
• Computer technologies: Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.