American Specialty is a nationally-recognized Managing General Underwriter serving the nation’s Sports, Leisure and Entertainment industries. Our teammates will experience a collaborative atmosphere that encourages both independent thinking and teamwork.
To accommodate our continued growth, we are currently recruiting for experienced, full-time Commercial P&C Underwriters to join our talented team! Our P&C Underwriter positions report to the SVP/Underwriting Director. We are interested in speaking with candidates at two experience levels: 1) those who hold two-to-five years P&C Underwriting experience, and 2) those who hold five-plus years of P&C Underwriting expertise.
These salaried positions include a generous benefit package, liberal paid time off advantages, and hybrid schedules after training period is completed. In addition, eligible teammates are invited to participate in an Employee Stock Purchase Plan that not only offers an automatic 15% discount on shares purchased, but also features an impressive stock performance history.
Two-to-five year experienced candidates are expected to work independently at an intermediate level of underwriting skill and difficulty, while those who hold 5+ years of experience are required to manage files at a higher, more complex caliber of underwriting skill. Successful candidates will carry out their underwriting responsibilities within assigned Underwriting Authority levels commensurate with their experience/skill level. Underwriters will be tasked with evaluating, qualifying and rating assigned insurance applications/supporting documentation to determine acceptability of risks presented and will also approach product placement on an open-market-basis where appropriate. Underwriters are required to:- Maintain a high level of accuracy in their work product
Underwriters will coordinate account servicing through interaction and collaboration with the company’s Client Services, Risk Services and Claims Services functional areas.
This role may also be assigned additional projects/duties by the EVP/Chief Underwriting Officer or SVP/Underwriting Director.
The successful candidate in this role must be able to perform all duties referenced above. In addition, the requirements and skills reflected below are representative of the knowledge, skill level, and abilities required for this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Possess defined years of experience to succeed in the applicable Commercial P&C Underwriting position
- Multi-Line Underwriting expertise
- Strong interpersonal skills including strong verbal and written communication skills
- Collaborative approach to achieving department and company goals
- Well-developed technical underwriting knowledge base and desire to continually expand this knowledge base
- Commitment to work product accuracy and strong attention to detail
- Natural curiosity for evaluating an insured’s operations and exposures in the context of underwriting guidelines and appetite
- Self-directed ability to stay organized in a fast-paced environment in order to effectively prioritize tasks and meet deadlines
- Strong work ethic
- Active Indiana Property & Casualty license (preferred) or ability to obtain within 60-days of hire
- Proficient working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite and ability to adapt quickly to internal proprietary software program
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. We take pride in the diversity of our team and seek diversity in our applicants.