JOB RESPONSIBILITIES & EXPECTATIONS:
- This Underwriter position works independently at an intermediate level of underwriting skill and difficulty and reports to the company’s SVP/Underwriting Director.
- Underwriter will operate within its assigned level of Underwriting Authority to evaluate, qualify and rate assigned insurance applications and supporting documentation to determine the acceptability of risks.
- Underwriter will be expected to maintain a high level of accuracy in work product.
- Underwriter will coordinate account servicing through interaction/collaboration with the company's Client Services, Risk Services and Claims Services functional areas.
- This role will contribute toward the achievement of company’s premium and profitability goals.
- This role may also be assigned additional projects/duties by the EVP/Chief Underwriting Officer or SVP/Underwriting Director.
To succeed in this role, the individual must be able to perform all duties referenced above. In addition, the requirements and skills reflected below are representative of the knowledge, skill level, and abilities required for this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- 3 - 5 years' of commercial property/casualty underwriting experience
- Emphasis in commercial property underwriting is preferred
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Collaborative approach to achieving department and company goals
- Established technical underwriting knowledge base and desire to continually expand this knowledge base
- Commitment to work product accuracy
- Natural curiosity for evaluating an insured's operations and exposures in the context of underwriting guidelines and appetite
- Self-directed ability to manage time, organize, and prioritize work to carry out account assignments in the prescribed timeline
- Strong work ethic
- Active Indiana Property & Casualty license (preferred) or ability to obtain within 60 days of hire
- Proficient working knowledge of Microsoft Outlook/Word/Excel and ability to adapt quickly to internal proprietary software program